Burroughs Community School
Squatting off Minnehaha Parkway and expansive Lynnhurst Park, this elementary school provides high academic standards for students in the Lynnhurst and Tangletown neighborhoods of Southwest Minneapolis. Students at Burroughs typically outscore their peers in the district and state standardized testing. In addition to the traditional classroom curriculum, the school offers media, technology, art, physical education and vocal music.
- Fax: 612-668-3290
- Hours: Mon - Fri, 9:10am - 3:40pm. AM kindergarten: Mon - Fri, 9:10am - 12:10pm. PM kindergarten: Mon - Fri, 12:40pm - 3:40pm
- Number of students: 470
- Public/Private: Public
- How engaged is the school with the community?: It hosts a number of events, including book fairs for students to family marathons. It was also the first Minneapolis public school to participate in organics composting, mostly comprised of cafeteria waste.
- What makes this community special?: Burroughs is one of the first elementary schools to partner with College Board, an organization that prepares students for higher education by teaching critical-thinking skills that would normally be taught in later grades.
- Grade levels: K - 8
- Extracurricular activities available: Minneapolis Kids program, arts, theater and music programs.
- Student clubs: Chess Club, Double Dutch/Rope Power, Lego League Robotics and yearbook