Adjacent to Armatage Park, this public elementary school uses the Montessori method to teach students core curriculum through hands-on, self-motivated learning. For example, the students learn to use a kiln in art class. Teachers specialise in music, art, physical education, media and technology. Armatage also allows access to a state-of-the-art gymnasium and the nearby park, as well as athletic activities that take place in the nearby park.
- Fax: 612-668-3190
- Hours: 7:30am - 2pm
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Number of students: 528
- Public/Private: Public
- Accreditation/licenses: All teachers have elementary licenses, as well as formal Montessori training from an accredited university or college.
- How engaged is the school with the community?: The community is very active at Armatage, with neighbors and parents even planning and building the new “Peaceful Playground” recently.
- What makes this community special?: Armatage uses the Montessori method, often associated with private schools, to be put to use at a public school, although Armatage students also enjoy all the athletic programs and activities associated with public schools.
- Montessori: Yes
- Grade levels: K - 5
- Extracurricular activities available: Band, choir, Science Fair and theater.
- Sports teams: Flag football, soccer and tennis.
- Student clubs: Art Club, Chess Club, Cooking, Car Building, Dance, Dutch Rope, Electric Car Club, Latino Club, Rocketry Club and Yearbook.