Changes to Penn Avenue South continued this week, as crews worked to remove ash trees and take out stoplights at two intersections.
The traffic control lights were taken down at 58th and 56th streets and will be replaced by four-way stops, according to a to the Minneapolis Department of Public Works. In addition, all but one infected ash tree were removed from the boulevard. They remaining ash tree at the corner of 61st Street and Penn will be removed next week.
The first phase of road reconstruction began April 10. Penn Avenue is closed thru traffic between West 54th and 60th streets. However, all east/west cross-streets, including 60th and 54th streets, are open. In addition, businesses are also open through the construction.
According to the project's webpage, the project includes the removal and replacement of the pavement, curb and gutter, driveway aprons, and storm drain inlets, as well as signal upgrades. The project is expected to take the entirety of the 2013 construction season.
The following update was sent out by public works in an e-newsletter:
Starting the week of Monday April 22
- CenterPoint Energy will continue their gas main replacement
- Meyer Contracting will begin moving equipment on site. They will begin roadway removals starting just North of 60th Street West and progress North on the project.
Sprinkler Systems, Boulevard Gardens and Pavers in Public Right of Way
- Residents should remove any irrigation systems and salvage special plantings on City of Minneapolis right of way
Trash and Recycling
- No changes will be made to the pick-up locations of garbage and recycling collected by the City of Minneapolis
- Businesses that have private vendors collect their trash should advise their vendor of the upcoming construction
Extra Cut Through Traffic
- You can expect some cut through traffic in you neighborhoods
- The City has requested extra enforcement for the area
- A radar speed wagon has been placed on Oliver Avenue South near 59th Street West in cooperation with the Minneapolis Police Department
Southwest Minneapolis Patch will continue to update readers on the progress of this project.
- Roads Closed & Ash Trees Removed: Penn Avenue Reconstruction Update
- Phase I of Penn Avenue Resconstruction Begins Wednesday