Editor's Note: With school back in session, the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office is urging parents to discuss online safety and online behavior with their children. The following is a "tip sheet" the office sent out on Friday.
Cyberbullys may do the following:
- Pretend they are other people online to trick others
- Spread lies about victims
- Send or Forward mean text messages
- Post pictures of victims without permission
How can I prevent cyberbullying?
- Refuse to pass along mean messages
- Tell friends to stop
- Block communications from cyberbullys
- Report cyberbullying to a trusted adult
Bottom Line: If you wouldn't say it in person, don't say it online!
How do I stay safe online?
- Never share personal information online (name, address, telephone number, school name, parents' names) or your friends' personal information
- Never share your Internet passwords, except with your parents
- Never meet face-to-face with people you met online
- Talk to your parents about what you do online