.

Boiler Explosion at Lake Harriet Upper Campus Disrupts Classes

Students temporarily evacuated.

Students at Lake Harriet Community School's Upper Campus had a dose of unwelcome excitement Thursday afternoon when the building's boiler exploded.

According to district spokesperson Larissa Chinwah, no one was injured in the incident, and the boiler is back in operation. The "explosion" only resulted in a door popping open, she said. An announcement on the school's website says the incident happened at 12:30 p.m.

During the outage, students were evacuated to the city's Fire Station 28, at the corner of Upton Ave South and 50th Street West.

The building did not lose its temperature during the outage, Chinwah wrote in an email to Patch, and the boiler was running again by 2:45 p.m.

Classes and other after school activities will continue as normal on Friday, Chinwah wrote.

The school district is dealing with several million dollars worth of maintenance projects. In recent years, the district decided to triage its repair efforts to prioritize things like aging boilers over new paint jobs.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something