When Thanksgiving Day hits Minneapolis, much of the city's infrastructure closes for the weekend.
- City Offices - Closed Nov. 22 and 23
- Parking Meters - City meters will not be enforced Nov. 22 or 23, but some University of Minnesota and Park Board meters may still be in force. Make sure to check the meter you've parked at to see whose it is, particularly if you've deposited your car on a parkway.
- Impound Lot - Closed Nov. 22 and 23.
- Garbage and Recycling - The solid waste transfer station will be closed on Nov. 22 and with potentially limited hours on Nov. 23. Pickup will not happen on Nov. 22 and will resume on Nov. 23. However, pickup will be a day late for customers whose pickup day falls on either Nov. 22 or 23.
Some useful or essential things will still be open, however:
- Fire and police services
- The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board's golf and frisbee golf courses (except the Theo Worth courses, which are already closed for the season)
- City parks
- Some coffee shops, grocery stores and restaurants. Check out the full list here.