If you haven’t yet registered to vote, get it off your to-do list now.
Today is National Voter Registration Day, and thousands of local, state and national organizations have mobilized to make sure millions of people don’t miss the chance to cast their vote in this year’s elections.
Six million people didn’t vote in the 2008 elections because they either did not know how to register or because they missed the voter registration deadline.
The early voter registration deadline in Minnesota is Oct. 16. Because Minnesota allows same-day registration, voters only need to meet that deadline if they want to register in advance.
Here’s information on how you can register in time for the Nov. 6 elections:
- First, find out where you're going to vote using the state's database. Recent redistricting changes mean your polling place could have changed. To view the new maps, check out the City of Minneapolis' elections website.
- Next, use the state's Voter Registration Lookup to see if you're registered under your current name and address.
- Download and fill out a registration form from the Minnesota Secretary of State's website. These forms should be mailed to one of these three addresses:
Hennepin County Government Center
300 S. 6th Street - Public Service Level
Minneapolis, MN 55487-0060 Minnesota Office of the Secretary of State
Election Services Counter
180 State Office Building
100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard
St. Paul, MN 55155 Minnesota Office of the Secretary of State
60 Empire Drive – Suite 100
St. Paul, MN 55103
- Go to any Hennepin County library, any Minneapolis Park building, any Minneapolis fire or police station, any Hennepin County service center, or the Hennepin County Government Center and fill out a registration form in person.
- Keep an eye out for local voter-registration drives, like the drive that will take place at Kingfield's Celebrate 38th festival on Saturday.
- If you miss all these and want to register on Election Day, make sure to bring one of these forms of identification with you.