Running from Lake Harriet to the Mississippi River, RiverLake Greenway provides five miles of safe, accessible bicycle boulevards.
Conceived 14 years ago, the greenway celebrates its grand opening Saturday, June 11. The above video (made by this blog) shows the entire route.
According to Bike Walk Twin Cities:
The RiverLake Greenway runs east-to-west in south Minneapolis, along 40th and 42nd Streets:
- Along 42nd Street East, between West River Parkway and Nokomis Avenue
- On Nokomis Avenue, from 42nd Street East to 40th Street East
- Along 40th Street East, between Nokomis Avenue to Kings Highway and Lake Harriet Parkway
Several activities are planned for the grand opening of the RiverLake Greenway:
- Grand Opening Program - 1 p.m., Minnehaha Academy South Campus (4200 W. River Pkwy.), featuring the Sabanthanites Drum Corps, and an east-to-west bicycle ride for families.
- RiverLake Bike Walk Destinations - 1-5 p.m., destinations along the RiverLake Greenway hosting check-ins, where registrants may sign up to win Greenway grand opening prizes.
- Youth bicycle decorating, family bicycle parades, youth bike rodeos - 2-3 p.m. at Hiawatha School Park (4305 E. 42nd St.); 2:30-3:30 p.m. at Calvary Lutheran Church (3901 Chicago Ave. S.); and 3 to 4 p.m. at Martin Luther King Park (4055 Nicollet Ave. S.)
- Sibley Park Celebration - (1900 E. 40th St.) 2-4 p.m., event concessions, rest area, and booths representing bicycle shops and bicycle/walking-related organizations
- Event Prize Drawing - (3900 Bryant Ave. S.) 4 p.m., a drawing and prize giveaway