Southwest Minneapolis may be firmly in the grip of Old Man Winter, when most self-respecting plants lie dormant under a blanket of snow, but that's not stopping the organizers of the Kingfield and Fulton Farmers Markets from organizing two Winter Farmers Markets.
On and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., locals are invited to converge on the greenhouses of for a pair of events dubbed "Fresh From the Freeze."
There, market-goers will find locally-produced food from some of their favorite purveyors from the traditional summer markets. Other vendors will be on hand selling meats, prepared foods, coffee, preserved foods, cheeses, baked goods, yarn, clothing, crafts, lotions, and oils. Family entertainment will also be on hand.
“Each summer weekend, more than 3,000 people come to the Kingfield and Fulton Farmer’s Markets. The truth is, we miss each other in the winter – and the farmers miss us, too. So we really appreciate Bachman’s bringing our communities back together and helping support our farmers,” Jeff Alden, Vice-Chair of Kingfield/Fulton Farmers Market Board, said in a written statement emailed to Patch.
Future winter markets, organizers say, will feature beer tastings and food trucks.
“As local growers ourselves, the Winter Farmers Market partnership is such a natural fit for Bachman’s,” Bachman’s Susie Bachman said in the same statement. “We think Twin Cities shoppers will really enjoy having this comfortable, convenient access to fresh local foods and goods, even during the coldest months.”
UPDATED 9:55 a.m. 1/8/13: This article was updated to reflect changes in the line-up of the two farmers markets. The following vendors will appear:
- Beez Kneez (honey)
- Braucher's Sunshine Harvest Farm (meats)
- Gai Gai Thai (thai prepared food)Gorkha Palace (chutneys)
- Groveland Confections (chocolate)
- Hazelwood Creek Farmed (fresh-canned veggies, fruits, sauces)
- Love Tree Farm (award-winning cave-aged cheeses)
- Moonshine Roasters (fresh coffee & beans)
- Palmira Coffee (coffee beans)
- Peter's Pumpkins (jams)
- Singing Hills Goat Dairy (chevre cheese)
- Star Thrower Farm (sheep's cheese, sheep pelts)
- Sun Street Breads (baked goods)
- Sunrise Flour Mill (locally-made flours)
- Veseli Vrsek Orchard (apples)
- Wild Run Salmon (Alaskan salmon fished by locally-based guy)
- Body Bliss (body products)
- Primitive Precision Metalcraft (clothing, bracelets, belt buckles, and other clothing)
- SoMi Tilewords (artisitic tiles)
- Squeaky Sailor Soaps (soaps)
- Universal Pants (clothing)