The evening started out well for Southwest, who were trying to break a decades-long loosing streak against their arch-rivals. By the end of the first half, Southwest was up 6-0. Washburn's players pulled ahead in the next quarter, but by the start of the fourth, Southwest was up 18-7, and victory was in sight.
Then, following hard on the heels of a Washburn touchdown, with barely a minute to go, Washburn's quarterback nailed a pass into the end zone for a final score of 19-18, and Southwest's chance of victory slipped away.
See More on Patch
- (PHOTOS) Southwest and Washburn HS Boys Tennis Take on South in Doubles Tourney
- Students Protest, Principal Out and Restaurant Unexpectedly Closes: Pick of Our Patches
- Dan Pratt Supporters Begin Online Petition
- Ex-Southwest High Baseball Star Quinlan Milne Rojek Sets College Record
- Woman Begs for Help for Parents and 'Jeopardy' Streak Ends: Pick of Our Patches
Most Popular articles
- Multi-City Police Pursuit of Burglary Suspects Ends in Southwest Minneapolis
- Dibble Introduces MN Same-Sex Marriage at MN Senate: 'A Very Simple Bill'
- Retiring at 50: Could You Follow This Woman's Extreme Savings Plan?
- REPLAY: Video of Same-Sex Marriage Debate, Vote at MN Senate
- What’s the Going Rate For a Lawn Service in Southwest Minneapolis?