UPDATE: Fierce Fire Claims Condo Building Near Lake Calhoun (PHOTOS)
The three-alarm fire was in a 100-year-old building; a preliminary cause has been identified.
A three-story building on West Lake Street was destroyed by fire Friday morning.
When crews arrived, they found the building at the intersection of Lake and Irving Avenue South consumed by fire, WCCO-TV reported. A third alarm was called at 8:30 a.m., and while crews kept the blaze from spreading, they were not able to save the building.
According to the Star-Tribune, the distinctive, white-and-brown building next to Dunn Bros. housed eight condos. The paper reports one resident was taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. There were no human fatalities, though Andrea Johnson, a first-floor resident, lost her cat in the blaze.
The newspaper quotes Minneapolis fire officials saying that unattended candles were to blame for the fire.
Lake Street was blocked for at least two blocks in both directions while firefighters battled the blaze. Residents of suburbs like St. Louis Park were reportedly able to see the pillar of smoke created by the flames.