Boiler Explosion at Lake Harriet Upper Campus Disrupts Classes
Students temporarily evacuated.
Students at Lake Harriet Community School's Upper Campus had a dose of unwelcome excitement Thursday afternoon when the building's boiler exploded.
According to district spokesperson Larissa Chinwah, no one was injured in the incident, and the boiler is back in operation. The "explosion" only resulted in a door popping open, she said. An announcement on the school's website says the incident happened at 12:30 p.m.
The building did not lose its temperature during the outage, Chinwah wrote in an email to Patch, and the boiler was running again by 2:45 p.m.
Classes and other after school activities will continue as normal on Friday, Chinwah wrote.
The school district is dealing with several million dollars worth of maintenance projects. In recent years, the district decided to triage its repair efforts to prioritize things like aging boilers over new paint jobs.